I spend a lot of time working with WordPress. WordPress is an extremely flexible, completely free content management system. It’s also some really great blogging software too. This website was created using WordPress. I also create a lot of blogs for clients. I’ve got the WordPress “famous 5-minute install” down so well I could probably do it in my sleep. So, because I spend so much time working with WordPress, I’ve discovered a lot of really great plugins to use with WordPress. Here are some of my favorites:
1. All In One SEO – If you’re not using SEO on your blog, shame on you. This plugin makes it simple to add meta to each of your posts and your overall blog. It’s completely configurable and easy to use. Options appear right on each individual post. Download it here.
2. Akismet – This handy plugin comes bundled with your WordPress install so it couldn’t be easier to put this one into action. It’s great for keeping those horrible spam comments out of your inbox and off of your blog. The only thing that Akismet requires is an API key which you can get for free by going to www.wordpress.com. You can even get one without signing up for the free blog option. It’s easy to configure and comes with stats you can check out right in your dashboard.
3. Sociable – By and far the best sharing option for WordPress. This handy little plugin will add sharing links to all of your posts or pages but is fully configurable to go where you want it to go. If you’re a PHP whiz, you can even place it into your theme manually. It has dozens of sharing options so you can pick the sites that you care most about sharing your blog posts on. Get more details here.
4. CommentLuv – Can you feel the love? This little plugin is great for letting your readers know that you appreciate them by helping them boost traffic to their own blog. By enabling this plugin on your site, your commenters can leave behind a link back to their latest blog post. Share the love here.
5. WP-Print – Sure the name is pretty generic but this great little plugin allows you to give your readers the option to print out your articles and share the old fashioned way. Fully configurable, you can even drop your own print icon into the image directory on this plugin. Go here to download.
6. WP-Email – Don’t have a printer handy? This plugin is a great companion for WP-Print. Just as easy to use as it’s sibling, WP-Email allows your readers to email a copy of their favorite blog posts to their friends. Start the sharing here.
7. Theme Test Drive – Like to try it before you buy it? This plugin is a developers dream. This fantastic plugin allows you to try on new themes before you show them off to the world. As long as you are logged in, you see the test theme but your users still see your original theme. You can even customize which roles see the test theme. It’s great for theme development and super easy to use. And you don’t have to be a developer to use it. Start window shopping here.
These are my favorite plugins but I would love to hear which plugins you use and why you like them!